Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Philippines Saga Begins Here

Alright, enough time has passed without any writing going on. Things are pretty settled now. I have a stable (0.1 Mb/s) WiMax signal going so this may take some time. Maybe the best place to start is at the beginning.

The flight from Seattle to Incheon, Korea

Getting on board was uneventful. At least after Tab and Elise and I all stopped crying by the car. All the airplane stuff was straightforward. I got to ride the underground train to the international terminal.

While waiting there, I found myself in a group of three other men with similar plans to mine, traveling to meet their young ladies. I think I got so I could spot us: older, chubby men, with a kinda desperate look on their faces. We had a great time there waiting for the plane. It was one of those conversations where each of us knew information which the others disbelieved so nobody pushed it much.

There was also an older missionary couple. Something about raising pigs, I think.

After a couple of hours it was time to board. This was my first time on a 777, which has three seats down each side and 4 in the middle. I had pre-arranged for window seat so I felt pretty lucky,

Then there was a little ray of sunshine that changed everything.

After I found out who my seat mates were the trip took a different tone that I had planned. I never could find out her name, but did you know that you can get every single Dora episode for your iPad, and even after 11 hours there are still more to go? Not to mention all the Dora counting games and sing alongs?

She decided that we were bffs, and that was ok.

I was not able to sleep at all even with my special airplane pillow from WalMart. Just the way the windows were indented in the wall and the shape of the seat made it impossible. Especially with two little legs in my lap some of the time.

A strange thing: Soon after we took off, the staff served lunch which is ok, but right after that they made us all close the window shades at about 4 in the afternoon. They only thing I could think of was maybe to precondition us for the time zone change. Definitely a little surreal. Not much to see out the window anyway.

On the subject of surreal, the stewardesses fit the definition for that. They were all painfully asian but were also 5 10 or taller in closely tailored seafoam business suits. Maybe I was just still having culture shock or something because I have never seen women move like that. I think they must have had that kind of training where you keep a book on your head while you do stuff,

So some time after I become as one with my buttock pain, we descend into Incheon (Seoul, South Korea). Incheon is an island on the west coast of South Korea. (You may remember the tv show M.A.S.H.? same war) As we approached we flew over some of the mainland and salt swamp and little islands. Maybe it is my anti-communist bias, but everything there sure seemed gray and dismal. No color anywhere. (OK, its not communist now.)

After further tortuous delays we deplaned into the terminal. This place was HUGE. I think they ordered the carpet by the hectare. Just massive like I have never seen. At six in the evening there may have been 100 people walking alone close to the wall avoiding the open spaces. I see Central Planning at work here.

So we go through security again. Drag out the ol' netbook again. Finished with that so I head out down to the gate for the next flight. Of course I realize that the I am tired of walking and that the numbers are going the wrong direction.

Eventually make it to the right gate. You would not believe the expensive jewelry that was for sale.

"No ma'am, I dont care to try on a $12,000 Rolex. What exactly is the point of that. Yes I am sure that is an excellent price, but it is just too bulky for me."

At the gate waiting area I made an attempt to send a message back to the real world. My net sniffer shows 5 open networks, but can I connect to any of them? I tried for the half hour or so I had with no luck.

So finally I get on the plane. Airbuss 300, I think. There were many empty seats so I wind up with a little more free room.


3 comments:

  1. Wait, what's the ray of sunshine? It seems like you stopped in the middle of the story...just trying to build anticipation? LIke a cliff hanger? Okay, anticipation sufficiently built! (Amanda)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I would like to remind you that we would like some pictures!!! None of us have been anywehere cool (except Rick). And you ratted us out for crying, we're way too tough for that. Tab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? C'mon, none of us have been anywhere cool? I've been to Egypt for crying out loud! Africa doesn't count as cool enough for you? Aint no pyramids in the philippines... Amanda

    ReplyDelete